Institute for Planetary Renewal
It is time to rebuild our cities and renew the Earth based upon a new model. The
existing infrastructure will inevitably collapse because it was not built on sustainable
principles. We begin by deciding what we DO want rather than opposing what exists.
A good starting point is patterns.
A pattern is a description of both a problem (or situation) and a solution. The concept was developed by Christopher Alexander and other architects for the purpose of describing the relationship between people and space.
Each category below is developed according to a system of patterns. Each pattern consists of a description of a problem area then a solution, generally in the form of :
Statement: Problem, observation, or situation
Therefore: One or more solutions
- Financial and Legal Structures
- Relationships, Values, Ethics, Social Structure
- Physical Design
- Outreach, Community Awareness
- Land Requirements and Search
- Information, Education, and Networking
- Economics: Right Livelihood - Cottage Industries