Institute for Planetary Renewal
Ultra Low-Cost Housing Seminar
(Available in the Greensboro, NC area)
(Some information will be provided to you on disk for prior study)
- Problems with Existing Housing Construction
- Advantages of Composite Shell Construction
- Engineering Principles of CSC
- Moment of Inertia
- Curved surfaces
- Stress points
- Composite Shell Construction Basics
- Low-Cost Foundations
- Garden Walls and Courtyard Walls
- Wall-Roof Systems
- Other Roof systems
- Doors and Windows
- Gazebos and Other First Experiments
- Supporting Technologies for Self-Sufficiency
- Solar Collectors for Water and Space Heating
- Solar Food Dehydrators
- Solar Toilets
- Survival Greenhouses
- Food Storage
- Water Harvesting
- Water Storage
- Cooling Towers and Coolth Harvesters
- Hot tubs
Form Building Techniques
- Design Considerations
- Form building materials
- Form finishing
- Aesthetics and Embellishments
- Creating a Master Mold
- Replicating the Mold
- Designing Low-Cost Materials
- Low-Density Materials
- Surfacing & Waterproofing
- Ferrocement Variations & Reinforcement
- Adobe Plaster
- Mixing Tools and Materials
- Basic Form Building Tools and Materials
- Material Application Tools
- Reinforcement Application
- One-Step Composite Application
- The Future of Composite Shell Construction
- CSC Communities, Villages, And Cities
- Sources of Materials
Hands on Events
- Building Small Structures--(as time allows).
- Building and Leveling a Foundation
- Building a Privacy Wall
- Building a Composite Shell Tilt-Up Form
- Duplicating the Form
- Erecting the Structure
- Insulating with Low-Density Material
- Constructing the Outside Shell
Previous Workshop Comments
"Attending this workshop has been very educational and very interesting. We are very interested in following up on this, and getting involved." -- R.T.
"Simplicity is genius. Richard's concepts are beautiful, too!" -- M.S.
"Very creative way of construction; economical and simple method." -- V.O.
"Clear and informative -- A wonderfully creative and simple way to build for both beginner and expert builder." -- M.G.
"Innovative construction made simple. Easily understood." -- M.O.
"I'm so excited by this that I'm ready to begin today! Bravo, Richard!" -- S.D.
"A real breath of fresh air for the shelter solution." -- J.B.
"A truly revolutionary way of building that is inexpensive, simple, creative, and innovative. This workshop was an invaluable source of information -- I highly recommend it to everyone!" -- J.D.
"Great workshop -- I am overwhelmed with information. Certainly well worth the $." -- K.G.
"I have gained a good understanding of the principles involved and very much appreciate this opportunity. The most significant advantages are:
- The elimination of separate roof construction and joining details to walls.
- Straw-clay economics.
I expect to start building full scale forms soon." -- J.C.
One-Day Intensive Workshop
Saturday or Sunday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Cost $175, Couples $295, Pre-registration Required, Limited Attendance.
For schedules and to register send e-mail to Sarvasri, IPR Director: Sarvasri@PlanetaryRenewal.org
Things to Bring:
Sack Lunch, Something to Sit On, Old Clothes, Gloves or Rubber Gloves, Boots or Rubber Boots, Lots of Energy!
IPR Home |
Products & Services